Sunday, January 6, 2019

About twenty eight years ago
I dated a woman who was twenty two
and I was about twenty eight
and we went to to dinner
and she had three appetizers
(instead of a main dish)

And then I took her to
a broadcasting museum
that was showing rare
footage of Lenny Bruce
who she found so sad that
she had to walk out on him
and also walk out on me
because I had to stay there

We've passed each other
over all these years, and she's
had ideas of people for me
and it's amazing to me how
different our essences seem
how we're each propelled
by such different things.

And tonight out of the blue
a friend texted me to call
that woman, and I asked why
and he asked why not, said
she was feeling blue, and my
call would cheer her up, but
I shouldn't mention him... 

Later I woke up and went
and stared at my screen
watching Mrs. Maisel and
her mentor, Lenny Bruce
and I saw his sadness, and
I sighed a prayer for all
sad people standing alone

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home